Public housing was established to provide decent, safe, and affordable rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 Housing Authorities nationwide. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal grants to local housing agencies that provide and manage housing for low-income residents. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing, and managing these developments.

Public housing is limited to low-income families, and elderly or disabled individuals. Eligibility is based on: annual gross income; whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and U. S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. If eligible, the Jackson Housing Authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. Jackson Housing Authority will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project’s environment.


Jackson Housing Authority accepts applications during normal business hours at the Administrative Office on 125 Preston Street. Click here LIPH Application Fillable to access and print the fillable Low-Income Public Housing application. The completed application must have original signatures, and can be mailed to 125 Preston Street, Jackson, Tennessee, 38301. Applications received by fax or email will not be accepted. The form must be completed in its entirety. Your name, address, city, state, zip code, phone number, and social security number must be filled in correctly. In addition, all family members who will reside in the unit must be listed, and all household income must be completed. This information is necessary in order to determine eligibility. Upon notification, it is a requirement that you come to the interview in person and bring your photo ID, and other important items as outlined in the letter you will receive.


Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy
Low-Income Public Housing Application
Change of Information on Public Housing Application
Things You Should Know
Notice of Occupancy Rights Under VAWA
Certification of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence Sexual Assault, or Stalking
Emergency Transfer Request for Victims
Debts Owed to Public Housing Agencies and Terminations
What You Should Know About EIV